Running a small business is both exciting and rewarding. But keeping up with all the latest employment laws can be complicated. The last thing you want to do is put your business at risk by making a mistake that could result in costly legal fees or fines.
In this e-guide, we’ll take a look at these 5 common HR mistakes:
- Treating independent contractors like employees
- Practicing “accidental” discrimination when hiring
- Not properly verifying work eligibility (via I-9 forms)
- Putting employees who don’t legally qualify on salary
- Not displaying all required labor law postings
Each section will cover why these laws matter, how to identify whether you have a potential problem, and what immediate steps you can take to address them.